Thursday, March 5, 2015

Low Light = Better Images

I remember when I saw the light, or actually lack thereof.  While perusing images in various publications over the course of several months I seemed to end up looking at images captured in low light.  Nighttime, artificially illuminated interiors, campfires and my favorite – twilight.  This was way back…about a dozen years ago…when digital was just starting to grow.  Film, specifically slides or transparencies, was the media of the day.

So there I was walking around Manchester, Vermont at twilight.  There was a building with a brightly illuminated interior and appropriate exterior lighting to match.  The sky was turning the purply-blue of twilight just after sunset.  Took some light meter readings, set up the tripod, scribbled notes and clicked away.  This was the start of about six months of this cycle and a great learning opportunity.  Unfortunately the feedback took days or weeks while waiting to get the film developed.

Enter digital with instant feedback.  What took me six months to master would now be compressed into a much shorter time.  One of my favorite classes to teach is night photography.  Students walk away from an evening with some nice images of subjects after the sun goes down, after their cameras traditionally would have been in the bag.

The photo above was captured at Portland’s Yard, Garden & Patio show from one of the display gardens.  The lighting is kept low in this area to help accent fire pits, path lights and other “outdoor” illumination.  I found the different light sources intriguing; the fireplace, the spa and light highlighting the artwork on the wall.  I hope this inspires you to keep your camera out of the bag a little bit longer in the evenings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment