Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Momentum and Inertia in Photography

You may be thinking, “What does this type of science have to do with photography?”  Most of us don’t pick up a camera for the first time thinking about physics or motion equations.  Yet many times when we miss a great image it’s because of one of these two factors.

Let’s begin with momentum.  How many times have you been on a trip, visiting a garden or just wandering someplace with your camera, hoping to grab a nice image?  There we are, strolling down a path when you notice a nice flower specimen or come to overlook on the trail with a great view.  And then momentum takes over.  We know we should stop, at least to take a look and see if there is a worthy image, but momentum propels us onward.  Speaking for myself, I know many potentially great images were passed up this way.

The next time you find yourself hearing that little voice as your camera is whispering for you to stop and at least take a look through the viewfinder, try not to let momentum get the best of you.  Once I stopped letting the laws of physics rule over my photography I found I was coming away with more good images that I know would have been passed up on prior trips. 

Tiny climber on big wall at Smith Rocks, Oregon.  I stopped for this one.
(click on image for larger view)


No comments:

Post a Comment